14 June 2013

little homeschooled angles..

H.E.A.V. - Home Educators Association of Virginia
(note: if you say heav and not H-E-A-V at the convention you will be glared at.... and then rudely corrected)

Have any of you ever been to a homeschool convention? What about the children's program at a homeschool convention? I'm not sure if every convention has one but if they do you have probably heard the "volunteer horror stories"! You know, the stories of the teenagers who volunteered to watch all those little kids for the day while their parents shopped for used curriculum and looked at all the booths in the exhibit room? The "These kids are crazy, they take up all your energy, and then they run off, then you freak out because you think you've lost a kid! They yell and they kick and they scream at you! Its horrible! Don't volunteer! These Kids are little devils, with an unlimited supply of energy!!!" horror stories. Well, I am here to tell you, while those stories may be true, my experience was completely different.

It was a huge shocker when I found out that all my kids wanted to do was color. After hearing all these crazy stories about how I will be chasing my kids around all day, all I actually did was sit on the floor and color with them or play a game of don't let the beach ball touch the floor! The didn't run off and they didn't kick or scream. They were sweet angles, who loved to share and color, and play don't let the beach ball touch the ground with out leaving the bounds of home base. When we had to line up to go to the games station, art station, or the inflatable station everyone got in a perfect line and they stayed in that line. My assistant and I were sooo surprised. It was amazing! Right at noon the kids parents came to pick them up for lunch, giving us a little break and time to enjoy some lunch of our own in the company of the other leaders and assistants of the program. Then at 1 the little kiddies came back and wouldn't leave again till 7.

My group of kiddies only fault? They were strongly against cheating. I mean, cheating is bad, but they took it to a whole new level.

On the first day (Friday) I had two assistants, Maegan - who I've already mentioned - and Ethan. Ethan was only with us for the first half of the day before he was moved to another team who needed 2 assistants more than I did. But anyway he was a Blue Agent long enough for my kiddies to realized he cheated in all of the games so our team would win and let me tell you my kids did not like that. By Saturday morning they had created plan to make a boat load of paper air planes that said "I hate Ethan" and "Cheating Is BAD" to throw at him in a huge ambush! Once I found out about it of course I stopped it all but still.... throwing paper airplanes at a person because they cheated in a game? Its a little extreme for little kids isn't it? haah.

Anyhoo, usually when I go to things like this I post a bunch of photos that I took with Eduardo, but  I didn't take any because I was in the Children's Program, literally all day. Not to mention I gave my camera bag and only camera battery to my friend Janelle who was one of the H.E.A.V official photographers to use. So instead of posting pictures that I took, I'm posting just one awkward photo of myself, taken by Janelle.

isin't that just a lovely photo?

-xoxo
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love comments so please feel free comment if you like! I just ask that you keep it clean and say nothing explicit! If you have and issue with this post or the blog in general please email me instead of commenting! THANKS =]

Powered by Blogger.